Top militant leader shot dead in Imphal

Last Updated: Tuesday, October 11, 2011, 09:57 

Imphal: A top militant leader, who escaped from a police station near here a week ago, was killed in an encounter with police in the wee hours today.

Sunil Meitei, ‘Commander in Chief’ of militant outfit Kangleipak Communist Party-Mobile Task Force (KCP-MTF), was shot dead during a gunfight with commandos attached to the Imphal West district police.

He had escaped from Porompat Police Station by digging a tunnel on October 4 last.

Meitei, involved in several cases of extortion, murder and kidnapping, was arrested from Bangalore on June 29 last year by Delhi Police and later brought to Imphal, police said.

Director General of Police (Manipur) Y Joykumar had earlier announced a cash reward of Rs one lakh for anyone who could give information leading to the re-arrest of Meitei.

PTI

Source: Zee News
Advertisements

Manipur CM promises rehabilitation package to surrendered militants

Imphal, Oct 11 (ANI):

Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh has promised a rehabilitation package to four militants belonging to the United People’s Party of Kangleipak (UPPK), after they surrendered here on Monday. 
Addressing mediapersons here, Singh said that the state government would provide a rehabilitation package to these militants to ensure them a decent lifestyle post a troubled past. 
 
“We, from our government’s side, welcome those (surrendered militants) back to the national mainstream. We will do our best in ensuring (them) a secure and sustainable livelihood in the future. We would also help to rehabilitate them so that they can settle peacefully along with their families,” said Singh. 

The militants surrendered before the officials of the Border Security Force (BSF) in Imphal on Monday. 

The militants were identified as Akoijam Suranjit Singh alias Bung (30), R. K. Sghamson alias Thabalcha (30), Okram Rojen Meitei and Rohen (27). 

Meanwhile, the militants said that UPPK was diseased with dirty politics and a constant fight for leadership, which forced them to quit the organisation. 

“I joined the party because of my strong desire; however I found that it was diseased with dirty politics and the constant fight for leadership. They never listen or address our grievances.

I also think that the current motive of the organisation has drifted from its initial goal,” said A. K. Suranjit, a surrendered militant. 

According to security officials, over 50 militants have surrendered in the past four months.(ANI)  

Source: NewsTrackIndia

Explosive devices recovered from three arrested individuals

IMPHAL, October 10: Troops of 17 Assam Rifles arrested three individuals and recovered a huge amount of assorted explosive devices yesterday along NH-150 at Awang Kasom check post.

Sources said that the incident occurred around 7:30 pm when the troops intercepted a truck carrying cement and rice with registration number MN0A-3321.
The recovered items included 2700 detonators of hand grenade, 16 fuse and 390 zelatine sticks.

The arrested persons have been identified as one Princy Laingam, 42 and her husband Raingam Laingam and Makhani, 32. They along with the recovered items have been handed over to Ukhrul Police station, said the sources.

Meanwhile according to a release of the PRO, IGAR discovering the transportation of explosives along the NH 202, troops of 17 AR of 10 Sector under HQ IGAR (south) launched operation in the general area of Maren Khullen on October 9 and apprehended two individuals along with explosives and allied stores from a truck registration no NL 07A 3321 carrying cement and rice.

The release further identified the apprehendees as Makanmi RA, truck driver, 32, s/o Manincihi RA of Somdal, Ukhrul and conductor Khamiwo Weyepeh, 63, s/o 9l) K Wungyao of Halang Ukhrul.

The troops recovered 2700 detonators (no 8), 15 roll of safety fuzes, 372 sticks of explosives, 120 bags of cement and 190 bags of rice stated the release.

Source: Imphal Free Press

4 cadres of UPPK surrender to CM, CM blames poor jail building construction for KCP Sunil Meetei’s escape

Imphal, October 10: Four cadres of United People’s Party of Kangleipak (UPPK) surrendered to the Chief Minister O Ibobi along with arms and ammunitions through the Bishnupur District Police today.

The four cadres who have surrendered along with arms have been identified as Akoijam Surjit (30) Meetei alias Bung alias Ayonba s/o Akoijam Khogen of  Iroisemba Manghiden, RK Samson (30) alias Thambalcha s/o RK Suresh of Sagolband Moiranghanuba, Okram Rojen (27) alias Rohen s/o Okram Tomba of Keibi Heikak Mapal and Ningthoujam Naoba (24) alias Abung alias Kanbiba s/o Ningthoujam Shyam of Ningthoukhong kha khunnou.

Akoijam Surjit surrendered along with HK-33, three magazines and 55 live rounds. RK Samson surrendered with a HK 33, three magazines and 70 live rounds. Okram Rojen surrendered with an A-1, three magazines and 71 live rounds and N Naoba surrendered with a HK-33, three magazines and 62 live rounds. Four of the surrendered had undergone training in Myanmar.

The surrender programme was held at the office chamber of Chief Minister today. Chief Minister while welcoming the return of the cadres to the mainstream said that all possible help will be given to them to make them lead a life of peace and prosperity.

Answering queries from media persons Chief Minister O Ibobi said that almost all the cadres who have surrendered to the government prefer to join active services. If they want to join as security personnel in AR and BSF, they can join after going through the due process. He also revealed that there are apprehensions that if the surrender package is good it might act as an incentive for youths to join the underground groups and then surrender to the government.

He further went on to say that the escaping incident of KCP Sunil Meetei from jail is very unfortunate. This was made possible because of old and poor jail buildings. He stated that the government will try and re-arrest him.

Source: Hueiyen Lanpao

Related Articles:

CM lays foundation stone of 100 bedded Hospital in Mayang Imphal

Imphal, October 10:  Chief Minister of Manipur, O Ibobi today laid the foundation stone of a 100 bedded hospital at Mayang Imphal today to be constructed at an estimated cost at Rs 60-70 crores.
Speaking as the Chief Guest on the occasion, Chief Minister O Ibobi said that the SPF government is laying emphasis on the development of Human Resource, law and order and education facilities in the state.

After developing the law and order situation of the state, the education system of the state will be further developed. If all the people of the state are educated there will be peace in the state. It is the only means to bring understanding among us all.

He further went on to say that we should not forget that health plays a very important role in the overall development of the state. To bring about a total change in the health sector of the state, a number of PHCs in rural and far off places are being set up and adequate doctors are being posted. There have been plans to set up hospitals in every district of the state. As part of this effort, a 100 bedded hospital is to be built in Mayang Imphal.

He said that sports academy will also be built near the Mayang Imphal IB. Inspection of the spot has been done. The estimated cost for the construction of the sports academy is around Rs 2 crores. A water supply scheme will also be set up very soon under the JNNURMwith an estimated cost of around Rs 23 crores nd the amount has also been sanctioned.

Source: Hueiyen Lanpao

 

Related Articles:

ZUF and NSCN-IM clash once again

 IMPHAL, Oct 10: Fresh gun battle reportedly broke out between the armed cadres of NSCN (IM) and Zeliangrong  United Front (ZUF) at Panphai village under Khoupum Police Station in Tamenglong district at around 12.30 pm today.

The exchange of firing from both sides lasted for more than 1 hour. But there is no report of any casualty till the time of filing this report.
According to information received by the press, the confrontation took place while armed cadres of NSCN (IM) were coming to destroy the hideouts of ZUF cadres.

It may be recalled that in the last gun-battle which took place in the evening of October 7 at a spot in between Toushang  and Leisok villages under Khoupum police station in Tamenglong district, six persons including five armed cadres of NSCN (IM) and one civilian have been killed, while five others sustained injuries.

Meanwhile, the Rongmei Lu Phom (RLP), Assam, Manipur and Nagaland has deplored the encounter between ZUF and NSCN (IM) at Sitheilong (Leishok village) in the evening of October 7 in which five NSCN (IM) cadres and a civilian driver lost their lives and caused injuries to few others.

Decrying the incident and calling for restraint, RLP, Khoupum area also reportedly took out a procession on October 8 from Gaidimjang to Dam site and back to Gaidimjang via Thhangagong, Daithaojang and Gatao village. The procession was attended by around 2000 women.
A statement signed by President of RLP Khoupum area P Meireina  and General Secretary G Sobi Gangmei informed that womenfolk have been trying their best to ease the tense situation and prevent both ZUF and NSCN (IM) from any possible confrontations in future. The womenfolk also escorted both the parties upto to distant place so as to avoid possible encounter and restore peace and normalcy in the area.

RLP women members belonging to Leisok, Taosang and Nungag retrieved the dead bodies and bathed the slain cadres as well as the civilian second driver of the Shaktiman before they were taken to Noney, the statement informed, adding that the incident has created a fear psychosis among the people of Khoupum valley area of Zeliangrong region.

RLP has also urged the Government of Manipur as well as the Government of India  to take up necessary measures for restoration of peace and stability in the area.

On the other hand, Soubunglong Village Authority, Women Society, Youth Club and all the villagers expressed shock over the gun-battle which broke out between ZUF and NSCN (IM) at the outskirts of the village on October 7 evening.

In a statement, Khunbu/Chairman of the village authority G Gaibulung  described the loss of some precious lives and injuries to some others in the incident as unfortunate and stated that incident has caused panic among  the villagers.

The village authority has also appealed to all concerned to restrain themselves from repeating such acts of violence in Zeliangrong area.
Peace and reconciliation must continue for the good of all in the Naga inhabited areas, in particular and Manipur State at large, the village authority maintained.

Source: Hueiyen Lanpao